Bolognese, a family favourite and a weekly staple in most households this recipe is so good who needs pasta.
- 1 kg of minced grass fed meat beef, pork, veal or a combination
- 5 rashers of bacon (optional)
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 Stalks of celery chopped
- 1 head of broccoli chopped
- 5 to 6 tomatos chopped
- 1 white or brown onion diced
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic depending on personal taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup of homemade bone broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 table spoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Medium sized Zucchinis
- Olive Oil to coat pan
- Heat oil in large pot or deep frying pan
- Add the chopped bacon (if including) to the fry pan and cook for about 2 min until just starting to cook.
- Add onion and garlic to pot or pan combine with the bacon add cook for another 3 to 5 min or until the onion turns transparent.
- Add the mince meat to the bacon, onion and garlic mix and combine.
- Cook the meat until it browns, about 10 mins, stir in tomato paste.
- Add chopped vegetables and continue to cook for 2 to 3 min.
- Add the bone broth, chopped tomatoes, dried oregano, fresh basil and salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 hours, alternatively transfer to a slow cooker and cook for 3 hours.
- Add extra salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a Julienne peeler to make zucchini noodles or a vegetable peeler to peel thick zucchini ribbons
- Heat oil in fry pan.
- Add zucchini noodles or ribbons to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir for 3 to 5 min, be careful not to over cook as zucchini with be to soggy.
Serves 6 people, left overs can be used the next day as a topping 0n roasted sweet potato, topped with guacamole and served with salad or put in a container and frozen for quick and easy meal during the week.